Friday, May 4, 2012

Saving Private Ryan

The overall plot of the movie is a group of U.S. soldiers' duty to retrieve Private Ryan, a stranger to the soldiers but nonetheless a mission they had to see through. The men endure hardships in German territory among World War II; almost all the men of the troop are killed in action. The troop does find Ryan, who ends up being one of the survivors from the war.
A) A soldier's day would include fighting for survival and being alert 24/7. A soldier was to believe that an enemy, if seen, must be killed in order to save the life of one or one-hundred other people. Death lingered everywhere, from the bodies of fallen soldiers to the looming peril a soldier feared on a daily basis. Conditions were extremely difficult and travel was inevitable and often.
B) Private Richard Reiben, played by Edward Burns, was a soldier who had survived the difficult attack on Omaha Beach. He is seen as a rough, strong man who symbolizes a typical soldier's tough persona. While searching for Private Ryan, Private Reiben almost aborts mission after Tom Hanks' character lets go of a German who had killed a comrade of Reiben. Although he is tempted to leave the band of brothers, he sees the error of his stubborn ways and follows through the mission. Unlike many members of his troop, he manages to survive throughout the entire movie.
C) In a war, I would have not done well. If I were to be fighting in the war, I would probably not survive long. I'm more of a peace-maker and would feel that killing another individual would not be ethical, in any circumstance. I would be frozen in shock and fear in battle. In short, I would not be helpful at all to the war effort if I were a part of the WWII.

No comments:

Post a Comment